Chris and I reflected on our Easter this year as compared to last year. Last Easter, after the birth of Davis on Good Friday, on Saturday, expecting to go home later that afternoon, I vividly remember not only being told we'd have to stay another day in the hospital (because of Davis's birth injury and subsequent bilirubin levels), but also that we were being moved to a much smaller room, one where Davis would be taken out of the room periodically for vitals/etc, and one where we had very little room to "be" in, let alone, have anyone visit us. To a mother who just wanted to get home with her new baby, didn't want him out of her sight, and who could not wait to get out of a room where she felt like the walls were closing in on her, was overwhelming enough to bring me to tears. Seems so trivial now, looking back, but I remembered the emotions that were brewing as I thought about what we were doing Easter of last year. We did bring Davis home on the morning of Easter Sunday. I remember that morning...how QUIET he was, how much he SLEPT, how content he was to do NOTHING, how he loved to be SWADDLED, and how we just stared at him in total awe.
This Easter played out a little differently. We did wake up and find that the Easter Bunny had visited Davis. (See basket and goodies in the picture show below). We had a nice trip down to Havelock and went to church with Chris's family. Contrary to mommy's request, daddy wanted Davis in "big church", despite mommy's knowledge that it wouldn't last long. After all of the singing, announcements, and offering were all over with, and it came time for the sermon, Davis thought it would be really fun to get on the floor and "drive" his container of Goldfish crackers around on the floor. Scared he'd "drive away", and end up at the other end of the church, I picked him up, looked at Chris with the "I told you so" eyes, and off Davis and daddy went to the nursery. We were able to really listen to and enjoy Pastor Moses' sermon. After church, we drove down to Morehead City and ate at The Sanitary with Chris's parents. While briefly, The Sanitary, brought back memories of my high school Spring Break, and me wanting to rummage through the albums in the exit area of the restaurant to find where I had signed that book on at least 2 occasions back between 1992 and 1996, I quickly remembered that I had an ornery tired munchkin that not only wouldn't half eat his lunch, but that also wouldn't wait on me to rummage through those albums as I tried to "relive" my youth. After a brief walk along the waterfront, we loaded Davis up, and before we could get much out of Morehead City, the little tiger was sawing logs in the back. Poor fella. He was tuckered out. And mommy and daddy...SO WERE THEY.
After getting back from Havelock, daddy and Davis snuck into the plastic Easter eggs and daddy let Davis taste some yummy chocolate. Then, mommy let Davis have peanut butter for the first time (I think the parenting handbook says wait until they are 2 years old before trying nuts). We then spent some time in the yard playing...Davis crawled his way under daddy's truck--something you don't want to see--a 4 ton piece of machinery over your 24 pound child. Daddy had to crawl under the truck and pull Davis out (he kept bumping his head on the undercarriage, so Davis just stopped mid-crawl...exactly halfway under the truck). Then, to top it all off, after that made Davis mad (getting yanked out from underneath the truck, totally ruining any fun to be had), mommy accidentally bumped Davis's head on the door-facing as I was walking out of his room with him in her arms.
Boy, we should really get blue ribbons for all of our parenting skills.
Enjoy the slideshow. We are going to bed. Is there a "time out" button we could press?




4 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a great Easter this year! We love the pictures! Jenna says "hey."
Wow what an eventful weekend. Sounds like a great time and yes you two do deserve medals because you ARE great parents!!! Haooy Easter and hope to see you soon. Love the pictures!
I remember around Easter last year. Davis was so little! Sounds like you had a busy but funfilled weekend. The pictures are adorable. Kiss & hug Davis for me :)
Okay, Davis is HANDSOME!! He looked so cute...I'm sorry I missed it in person. My reflection of Easter last year..........Last Easter was the greatest because my little buddy came in to this world!! Love you guys.
Post a Comment